When it comes to prescription medication, there is no question that safety should be the top priority. With eprescribing software, pharmacies can take their safety protocols to a whole new level. But first, we have to understand what it is and how it works.
What is e-prescription?
Electronic prescription or E-prescription is the prescribing and ordering of prescription drugs or medicines by using electronic means. It is the transmission of a prescription from the prescriber to the pharmacist. This can be done in a number of ways, including through email, text message, or an online portal.
How does e-prescription work?
When a doctor writes a prescription for their patient, they will transmit it electronically to the pharmacy. The pharmacy will then receive the prescription, and the patient will be able to pick up their medication at the pharmacy. This process eliminates the need for a paper prescription, which can help to speed up the process and ensure that medications are filled accurately.
What are the benefits of using e-prescription or eprescribe software?
- Less errors – One of the biggest dangers of traditional paper prescriptions is the potential for human error. With an eprescription, however, all of the patient’s information is entered into the system electronically. This eliminates any chances for mistakes caused by illegible handwriting or incorrect medication dosages.
- Increased Efficiency – In a study published in Perspectives in Health Information Management, it was revealed that there is a significant increase in efficiency in ambulatory care settings. Prescriptions were processed more quickly, and there was a decrease in the number of callbacks from pharmacists.
- Improved Patient Care – In addition to reducing errors, eprescribing also allows pharmacists to provide better patient care. They can review the patient’s medical history, drug allergies, and current medications before filling the prescription. This helps to ensure that the patient is getting the most appropriate medication and that there are no interactions between medications.
- Increased Security – With an eprescription, all of the patient’s information is stored in a secure database. This eliminates the risk of lost or stolen prescriptions. It also allows pharmacists to track medication histories, which can help to identify potential drug interactions or other problems.
- Cost Savings – One of the best things about electronic prescribing is that it can save pharmacies and patients money. By streamlining the prescription process, eprescribing can reduce the amount of time that it takes to fill prescriptions. This leads to less wasted medication and fewer missed doses.
As you can see, there are many benefits to electronic prescribing. If you’re a pharmacy owner, it’s time to consider making the switch to eprescribing software. Not only will it improve your safety protocols, but it will also save you time and money.
Where to get eprescribe software?
There are a number of different eprescribe software providers out there. If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable solution, you should look for companies that offer a cloud-based platform. This will allow you to access your prescriptions from any computer or mobile device.